History of colon hydrotherapy (colonic cleanse, high colonic enema or colonic irrigation).
It is believed that the ancient Egyptians practiced a form of colonic irrigation called enema, and that it was passed down from the Gods.
The Greek historian, Herodotus wrote about the common use of enemas by the Egyptians.
2. Babylonian and Assyrian tablets mention enemas, as early as 600 B.C.
3. In the Hindu medical text called Susruta Samhita there are references tosyringes and bougies as well as a rectal speculum.
4. The Greek physician Hippocrates (fourth and fifth century) mentions the use of enemas in his text, On Regimen in Acute Disease as a way of fighting fever and other disorders.
5. The Roman physician, Asclepiades preffered to use enema rather than laxatives to remove intestinal parasites and to fight fever.
6. This was a was a favorite method of treatment for Nigerians and other early Africans.
7. From the 11th to the 15th century, enema was popular with the wealthy and royalty.
8. In1480, Louis XI's apoplexy was reduced, after being given an enema. He liked it so much that his pet dogs were treated to enemas whenever he thought it was necessary!
9. The 17th century was the age of enemas in Parisian society. They believed that internal colon cleansing through colon hydrotherapy, was important for wellness.
10. King Louis XIV (17th-18th century) had 2000 enemas when he was king.
11. During the late 1800's until the early 1900's, laxatives became more popular with physicians as they were comparatively easier to give, then enemas
12. Dr. John H. Kellogg (1852 – 1943) revived colonic irrigation again and he had some 40 000 patients and never did surgery for his gastrointestinal patients. Instead he used enema.
If you have a chance, see the movie, The Road to Wellville, Dr Kellog played by Anthony Hopkins gives an enema to a character played by Matthew Broderick.
13. Dr. W. Kerr Russell coined the phrase Colonic Irrigation and Colonic Lavage.
14. By the 1950's colon hydrotherapy became popular, and the celebrated Beverly Boulevard in California was called the "Colonic row".
15. Towards the mid-1960's, the use of colonic irrigation and colon hydrotherapy slowly declined. By the 1970's, all the colon hydrotherapy kits were taken out of hospitals and nursing homes in favor of the colostomy.
I remember being given a enema when I was a child. But it was a very simple one called the bulb enema. Now there is a revival of colonic cleanses...
A few years ago, there was a revival of colonic cleanse in alternative medicine. This has given birth to new equipment and new and safe methods to do a colonic irrigation.
Through the colon irrigation history you can see how enema was used to keep or gain the health of the colon.
Enema cleanse with a five gallon bucket, three times is similar to a colonic in a clinic.
I do an enema quite often and I feel great and really clean, after each one, as long as I follow important guidelines for the enema.
Enema history above is a summary from the History of Colon Hydrotherapy. However I focused on the history of using enema and not on the different types of enema equipment. You can read more about the evolution of the colonic equipment there.
The Advanced Cleanse Kit, includes the whole sequence of cleanses in a whole body cleanse.
Subscribe to the Ultra Cleanse Blog RSS feed
You Are Here:
Cleanse › Colon Hydrotherapy