Imagine a food encrusted pot. Is it enough to use a soap water to clean it? No! You need a scouring pad which can remove the encrusted remains.
Likewise to clean the colon of old feces and other waste matter, you need a brush-like substance. Psyllium Fiber creates such a brush in the colon.
The National Cancer Institute and the American Medical Association recommends that people take 20-30g of fiber everyday. Certain ethnic societies, where 70g of fiber is consumed daily, no bowel diseases occur.
“Increasing fiber consumption should be a first priority for everyone. The facts are overwhelming - medical professionals should recommend the use of fiber to all their patients.”
--Louise Tenny, Master Herbalist
Some of the other fiber-rich supplements other than Psyllium on the market, are:
I would not recommend any of the above because they are derivatives from, no doubt, natural substances. This means that there is some processing done to get them from these natural substances.
Photo courtesy: Wikimedia Commons
However, psyllium fiber is directly from the husks, and so is an economical and natural fiber supplement. Flax seeds are also a good fiber supplement.
100 gms of psyllium contains around 14 times more fiber than 100 gms of oat bran and is able to absorb and swell at least ten times its volume.
1. Drink one glass of water. Then take one tablespoon of it in a glass of water or juice and drink another glass of water. This is to ensure you have adequate amount of water to create a smooth flowing bulk fiber.
2. Do not take it with any supplements or any medication because they will also be trapped and eliminated by the psyllium fiber.
3. Take at least two hours before or after consuming anything.
4. Do not take too much Psyllium Fiber as it is more likely to create some side effect or other, if a proportionate amount of water is not consumed. At least two or three glasses of water or juice with every teaspoon of psyllium is enough to keep it soft.
5. Throughout the day drink eight to 12 glasses of water to ensure that it moves through the intestines easily.
6. It is advisable to take some probiotics daily on an empty stomach in the morning, if you have taken the psyllium at night and vice-versa.
7. It can be added to other high fiber foods, such as oats or other cereals, and even to fruit juices to increase the fiber content of the food. This is a natural way of taking Psyllium Husks.
You Are Here: Cleanse › Psyllium Husks